Author Topic: Moon  (Read 2312 times)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Moon
« on: July 09, 2009, 22:51:17 »
If you get a chance, I highly recommend seeing this movie.  I got to see 'Moon' while I was in Atlanta without knowing anything about it, and I was really surprised at how good it was.  A theater search at hollywood.com told me that the only theater within 50 miles of Tampa showing it is the Veterans 24, and it actually doesn't start showing it until tomorrow.  That tells me that if you want to see it, you might need to hurry, since "limited release" movies tend not to stick around very long. 

I'll put my review of the movie below the photo, so if you don't want to know anything about it beforehand, don't scroll down.  :)

Sam Rockwell stars as Sam Bell, the only living crew member of a lunar base that's designed to mine a new form of energy called Helium-3 to send back to Earth.  The only other presence in the base is an AI named Gerdy (voiced by Kevin Spacey), a mobile console suspended from the ceiling that uses humerous emoticons to represent its mood.  Sam is at the last two weeks of a three year contract when he starts seeing things.  Gerdy assures him that he is simply working too hard, but Sam begins to suspect that Gerdy is keeping secrets from him.   

This movie definately has the look and feel of a more classic era of sci-fi films such as 2001 and the first Alien movie.  The special effects remain in the background providing ambience and setting, rather than being right up in your face.  The science in the film is plausible and also in the background for the most part.  No aliens or laser battles, but simply good storytelling.

Again, I highly recommend seeing this in the theater while you have the chance.  Otherwise, put it in your Netflix queue ASAP. ;D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 22:58:49 by TylerChuit »
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: Moon
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 11:50:57 »
I finally watched Moon last night, through Netflix streaming. Definitely a good movie.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

scorcher

• Platinum Level
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 13:17:34 »
ill look it up sound a decent film
50 rc toy - hobby cars from 1979-2021

megan8788

• Copper Level
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 06:05:47 »
From the plot the movie seems to be interesting.