Author Topic: Join me in Conquest of the Empire  (Read 16380 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Join me in Conquest of the Empire
« on: August 08, 2012, 01:13:42 »
I've been getting back to the Conquest online game that I put together several years ago. Tonight I finished putting in some updates to include some changes that were made with the latest version of Conquest of the Empire (Eagle Games, 2005). The changes are long over due, but finally in place. Hopefully I'll continue to make progress and get the game, interested in joining me for a game? My version is by no means the greatest, actually, it was one of my first web development projects where I used PHP and MySQL, but I've enjoyed it, and if you've had fun playing Milton Bradley's Game Master series in the past, you might enjoy it too. (See a sample game at http://dragonhobbies.com/games/cote/map.php?gameid=1)
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
Re: Join me in Conquest of the Empire
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 23:57:20 »
In case anyone has any questions about the game, feel free to ask. This is an open invitation to anyone who is a member (registration is free if you're not a member already) of this site, not just the people that I know personally.

Oh, and I've attached a screenshot of the game board, for those who want a really quick preview.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 09:56:36 »
I TOTALLY FORGOT HOW TO PLAY!!!! But I will check it out and see if I can get involved.  I'd enjoy spending more "time" with you.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 23:27:04 »
Ok Charles, I got a two player game started so that you can catch onto the rules again. If you'd like to stop after a couple turns to reset or for a game with more players, just let me know.

http://dragonhobbies.com/games/cote/map.php?gameid=15

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 21:54:14 »
I wanna play!  

Also, I'd be interested in an update of the territory screens.  Instead of just the names of each adjacent territory on a line, having a  close-up picture with the names on it would be way easier to follow.  As it is, I remember doing a bunch of jumping back and forth between territory pages and the main screen.

I would be willing to work those up in Photoshop for you if you are interested.

Like this'n:

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 22:56:13 by TylerChuit »
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 23:03:43 »
Yeah, I do remember talking with you about that before. I definitely want to do that. If you can put together the images, that will definitely speed up the process.

By the way, do you want to play one-on-one with me, or are would you prefer a game with more? I know that Charles said he'd prefer just a one-on-one game right now, but I think Phillip would be up for a three player game. ... Also, Chris, if you wouldn't mind, please go through the setup options to setup our game. I think I've been the only one to ever use them and I'd like to know if there is an error for other people, or what. I know there are some things that need to be changed, like allowing people to send non-members an invitation and invitation confirmation, but I'd really just like to know if it works at all how it is now.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 23:11:52 by Dragon »

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 07:17:39 »
I'll start a 2-player with you.  If you want to add a 3-player with Phillip, I'm in if you're sure he'll keep checking.  :)

For the images, Just the map with no names?  If that's the case, could you e-mail me the image of the board, or would you want me to design a new board?

Also, do you have a preference of size.  My exmple has a small window, but there seems to be plenty of available real estate on the page.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 17:11:57 »
Sending some info to you via email.

By the way, if you have your notifications turned on for the forum, you should also be getting an email message now each time it's your turn. That's under Profile > Notification and Email. Put a checkmark next to "Receive forum announcements and important notifications by email."
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 17:43:05 by Dragon »

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 11:50:44 »
hehe, thanks.  But I usually check this site when I check my e-mail.

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 02:27:53 »
Just out of curiosity... Did you possibly happen to fix that issue of one attack round per turn that made the game take so long, and gave an hugely unfair advantage to the defender?  

I ask because I only just remembered how extremely frustrated I got over that last time, and that it made me not want to play it again till it was fixed. 

Just curious...  :-*
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:32:56 by TylerChuit »

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 17:51:43 »
Nope, not fixed yet. I have a couple different ideas for it. I'll try to work on it this week.

Wyldwing

• Platinum Level
  • My new do!
    • Widget Bookkeeping and Tax, P.A.
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 16:21:23 »
Dragon,

You are going to have to kill our game of Conquest.

Widget is heating up due to the 9/15 and 10/15 deadlines.  It's EARLY...but that is great for business.

But it will kill my ability to play Conquest...for now.  I'm sorry.

I'm looking forward to Sunday, however.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 21:29:29 »
Ok. No problem. Thanks for letting me know.

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 23:13:59 »
Question: I have two ships on two unconnected coasts of the same territory, and the only button for the general is "Load Ship".  Since loading a general on a ship kills his movement, how can I be sure which ship he'll get loaded on to before I make an unchangable commitment?

Related question: Any plans to have a reset button that will undo all your actions for the current phase?  I only ask because I bought that ship on the other coastline by accident, and would love to have been able to undo it. That and several other small accidental clicks I occasionaly make.  It has gotten to the point that I have to make a shopping list out of paranoia that I will make a mistake. :-[

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 00:18:58 »
For your first question, unfortunately, that was not something that I had thought of when I originally wrote the program. It will probably pick the first one it would find in the database, which normally* would be the lowest number. (*It might be a higher numbered ship if a lower numbered ship was destroyed, hence deleted from the database, and a higher numbered ship was created later filling the lower number's place. Of course, you'd never know when that might happen because it could even be in a different game. Sorry about the db mumbo-jumbo. I just felt like that needed more of an explanation than simply saying what normally would happen.) I can probably modify the system with a drop down menu to select which ship your guys are loading onto.

Regarding your second question, at this point, the entire system works with only the present status being recorded. In the Battle Log you can see the history of what has gone on, but that is only a textual description and there is no way to back up what has gone on even from that because there are so many other elements that are not recorded. I have wanted to have a playback feature so that people could replay what was going on during other players' turns, but that would require a major rewrite of the system to accommodate it. It is something that I would like to do eventually, but not something that will get done soon at all. A shopping cart system using temporary storage for the purchase phase would be much more feasible as a short term goal.

By the way, I have been making progress on the next update to the battle system. I'm not sure if I'll be putting it in as an option to the system or a solid switch. The current battle system plays through one round of combat. If all the defenders are killed, the attackers win, otherwise any surviving attackers retreat. The new battle system will be a fight to the death. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 00:24:24 by Dragon »