Author Topic: Splendor  (Read 974 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Splendor
« on: January 15, 2022, 18:17:46 »
It had been quite a while since the last time that Janai had played Splendor with me, but finally, with Sean and Isaac, we finally got the game out.

Splendor is a game of resource management, where each player can collect gem tokens and use them to buy gem cards, which are sometimes worth victory points. Gem cards can later be used as discounts toward buying other gem cards and also will allow players to get noble tokens for extra victory points. The game goes to 15 points, which takes about half-an-hour.

Isaac started the game, with me picking second, Janai following, and Sean taking the last turn around the table. Sean had played the game before, but couldn't remember how it worked and struggled to get his cards built up. Janai and I fought over the same cards often, and Isaac somehow got a good lead on us. He managed to get the first noble, just before I was able to, then Janai took the other one that I was trying to get. Isaac finished out the game picking up another noble and would have taken another if the rules had allowed 2 nobles to be taken at the same time, but that was game. In the end, Isaac won with 15 points, I tied with Janai with 9 points, and Sean ended up with 6.

"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: Splendor
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2023, 23:17:29 »
Tonight we played Splendor. It's one Janai likes, so it's a good one to try to get out when she's considering playing a boardgame. (I originally bought the game for her as a Christmas present in 2016 while we were regularly playing games on the weekends at Serenity Games in Seminole.) Janai's friend, Andy was over so we taught him how to play. He caught onto it well and got a good lead on the points earlier than I did. However, I had been building up my cards to get the nobles and for the last 4 turns of the game, I picked up a noble every time. In the end, I won with 15 points, Andy had 11, and Janai had 3.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)