Author Topic: If You Have a Problem and No One Else Can Help, Maybe You Can Hire... These Guys  (Read 3843 times)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Although I did enjoy the new A-Team movie for the most part, it did feel formulaic.  Not like the origional TV show, but like a combination of movies like Ocean's Eleven, Mission Impossible, and a few others.  I liked those films too, I was just expecting something new.  The characters were similar enough to the original series to put the fact of different actors aside.  In fact, remembering it now, I'm having a hard time not picturing the original TV actors in the scenes from the movie.

Of course, Hannibal had to use the phrase, "I love it when a plan comes together," but B.A.'s catchphrase only made an appearance in the very beginning of the film as tatoos on his knuckles.  I didn't quite care for the symbolic significance of B.A.'s haircut though.  That seemed a bit pointless.

Mohawk symbolism aside, the one thing that really bothered me was near the end of the film, so I will definately try to tread lightly as to how much I describe.  During the film, they established pretty well that Face was good at manipulating people to get his way, but it wasn't really spelled out that he was a "con-man".  He devises a complicated plan based on a classic "con-man" thing.  Hannibal remarks at one point that, "flashy is underrated."  Try unnecessary and highly improbable.  It might have possibly worked if the CG had been better, but it was just a lot of bad CG to pull off something that really made very little sense in the first place.

Otherwise, I actually did like this movie.  Like I said, the actors stayed true to the characters, and in the case of Murdock, actually improved the character somewhat.
There were some really great moments that recalled what I used to love about the series.  I particularly liked the explanation that it was 8 years of flying with Murdock that actually drove a hardcore Airborne Ranger like B.A. to be afraid of flying. ;D
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
I did watch the A-Team movie, a few years ago. Looking back at it now, especially as a big fan of the A-Team TV show, I remember it seeming to lack the entertainment value that I would have hoped for. But really, the van was the biggest disappointment to me. They totally destroyed the A-Team van at the beginning of the movie and just moved on. That van was a major bit of the character of the original show to me. It would be like having a Knight Rider movie without K.I.T.T...
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)