Author Topic: The Return of Conquest  (Read 29524 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: The Return of Conquest
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 22:00:49 »
I haven't modified the code to enforce the 3 day time limit, but I've already sent Mac an email to remind him.

One other thing that I've been wanting to do, for years actually, was to make a "simultaneous-play" which would allow players to make 1, 2, or maybe even more turns each day. I know that would change the dynamic of the game, possibly mixing up strategies, but the main idea that I like about it is allowing people to jump on and have something that they can do each time they come. I still haven't figured out how I'd want it all to work though, but I know it will require code changes to practically every page, so it's not going to happen tonight.

<<Edit: Grammatical/spelling error>>
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 09:42:37 by Dragon »
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 02:33:56 »
You mean simultaneous and multiple turns in a single game?  I'd be interested in what you come up with for two or more people wanting to attack the same territory at the same time. 
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 04:08:02 »
My first attempt is a total failure. I'm having visions of Robo Rally with this game.
I'll try to take another turn when it comes around.
Somehow I went straight to end my turn, instead of getting an option to move.
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 22:32:33 »
I updated the instructions, so there is a Quick Start section now. Hopefully this will be helpful.

By the way, I found a list of Roman generals... Wondering if I should use them for populating the Generals' names fields randomly instead of using just a Roman numeral.  :-\
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Ernie

• Gold Level
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 14:16:47 »
I was out of town since last Tuesday so I missed my turns alot, so sorry bro! :(

Suggestion on the reminder email: How about adding a quick link to reference?
Click on this link and help hatch my Dragons!
http://dragcave.net/user/Y%27oshii%20Capone

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 14:46:37 »
Did you get the reminder email for your turn? I haven't gotten one yet and I thought it was completely broken.

Do you mean that a link should be provided to get you to your game? I thought one was already in there.

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 20:19:00 »
I got lucky and clicked on a soldier link. It took me to a page where I could attach generals to the troops.

I think I can duplicate it, I'll find out later.

Just waiting on a turn again to try actually moving.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 09:52:20 »
OK. Have you taken a look at the Quick Start instruction? Let me know if they need something more.

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 21:40:07 »
I didn't find the quick start instructions, I looked around but didn't see them anywhere.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2010, 16:57:08 »
They are right at the top of the Instructions page. The Quick Start section was added after you mentioned having problems with your turn.

http://dragonhobbies.com/games/cote/instructions.php

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 23:44:22 »
Ok. TylerChuit and I just finished a game. One thing I think I really need to change is the way that the system handles finished games. It basically locks everyone out... well not exactly, but since there is no longer a link to view the map or game info, it's pretty much just quietly ended. I think minimally I need to leave the button that allows people to go back to that map. In addition to that though, I'm thinking that maybe putting the last entry from the Battle Log onto the index page might be worth trying.

On a side note, I'd be interested in starting up another game if anyone is interested. Maybe a 3- or 5-player game?

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2010, 21:04:53 »
I'm perpetually in.

Grats on the win.  Well deserved.  I spread myself way too thin and payed the price. 

Yeah, some way to view finished games besides going into an open one and editing the address would be good.  Although seeing how you played both sides of that one test game was enlightening. ;)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2010, 23:40:26 »
Ok. While I was in Plant City today I introduced 6sided.com to my youngest brother to try to gauge his interest. I've played another online game with him that had some similar methods of play in the past, so I had hoped that he'd be able to catch onto how things worked pretty quickly. I did have the benefit of showing him in person how to take his first turn, so hopefully he'll stick with it.

Meanwhile... back in Game V, we're still waiting on Mac. I have sent him a couple messages, so I'm hoping that he hasn't forgotten about us there.

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2010, 19:43:46 »
Heads up sir.  I've noticed that when moving from Syria, that Cappadocia and Armenia are not options, and don't show up as connected from the Syria page even though they are adjacent on the map.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2010, 12:31:19 »
Ok. I'll get that corrected right now. Thanks for letting me know.